Saturday, September 7, 2013

Ay Bendito! So much to say...

Aerial lift bridge in Duluth, MN that we almost got caught on in the middle of crossing when a huge barge was about to go under.  We were napping and the warning horn for the bridge shot us from deep sleeps.
Saw a sand hill crane in Wisconsin before crossing into Michigan visitor center – humongous birds that lady said have just started migrating to MI.  He looked like Kevin the bird in the Pixar movie UP; if you haven’t seen that movie, the first 15 minutes has got to be one of the most heartwarming I've ever seen, and I recommend it highly.

Jose tested me on the names of the Great Lakes – I did not pass!  They are Superior, Michigan, Ontario, Huron & Erie (HOMES for future reference!).

We are really starting to make good use of the bikes more and more.  I went through a down period in Minnesota (poor Jose), hence the little communication from me.  However, a great friend talked some sense into me, and it seems I’ve bounced back a bit.  I’ve started to eat healthier and less – thankfully with fewer and fewer Starbucks in the Central and Eastern time zones, the high-cal coffees and the sweet treats that usually accompany them have been eliminated from my diet at the moment.  Adding the biking every day is also improving my outlook.


Lake Superior in Petoskey
Seeing Lake Superior for the first time is simply amazing; every turn you take along the north shore is just as breathtaking as the one before.  I can’t even tell you how many times Jose and I burst into singing Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald!  We drove about halfway up the north shore of Lake Superior and stopped at Gooseberry Falls and then dinner at Betty’s Pies!




Awaiting Mackinac Island ferry!
Biking Mackinac Island
Mackinac Island was next on our list – we stayed a couple of nights in St. Ignace, a neat little town where the ferries depart.  We brought our bikes over on the ferry and biked the 8-miles around the entire island.  One thing you have to kind of get over is the odor and sight of the horse manure all over the roads mixed with the smell of fudge – once you leave the main street though, you leave the odors behind.  There are no vehicles allowed and all the houses are old Victorian – simply a gorgeous old town – a step back in time.  It’s actually also famous not only for it’s delightful fudge but also the somewhat sappy movie called Somewhere In Time, starring Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeves in their younger days.  On a food note, I thought it was kind of weird that there was little fish on the restaurant menus - I guess the lake atmosphere is more conducive to hamburgers and hot dogs compared to the ocean islands of New England where all kinds of seafood are available.  We did have an excellent lightly battered and fried white fish and chips on the mainland - a tasty treat.

Now that we’re in the Eastern Time zone, I am more and more anxious to get to RI to see my family.  Only New York, Maine and New Hampshire remain, and we’re still on target to arrive in MA/RI in very early October.  The other cool thing is that while all the leaf peeper traffic will be traveling north up route 1 to see the foliage, we’ll have already seen it and will have smooth sailing into MA/RI!

I love Michigan!!  The lakes are spectacular, and the towns are all very quaint so far.  There is an awesome 26-mile bike path called the Little Traverse Wheelway that runs from Harbor Springs through Petoskey to Charlevoix.  I was planning to split up the ride, but the 8-mile ride around the Island kind of exhausted me, so I skipped the shorter leg.  I did take some shorter rides through Petoskey State Park where we camped overnight; it is right on Lake Michigan.  When you’re on the beach, the towns of Petoskey and Harbor Springs are at either side of you encircling you in a semi-circle.  It’s just so beautiful.  I REALLY love this area!

The next day, we drove to Petoskey, ate at a trendy café called Toast and Roast or Roast and Toast; I can’t remember!  Then we did a quick run through of a small Farmer’s Market we happened upon.  Back at the RV, we unhooked my bike and I took off for the 16 mile trek to Charlevoix.  Jose and the pups drove the highway and met me at the end of the trail.  It was a nice challenge for me…

Charlevoix
Afterward, we walked with the dogs through Charlevoix and down by the boats.  The marina has one of those cool water fountains that you can play in, but no dogs allowed.  So we strolled on by toward a couple of beautifully landscaped ponds holding black trout.  Jose decided to sit by one with Matilda, but she decided to make her rules and simply walked into the pond before Jose even realized what was happening!  The poor fish had no idea what entered their tranquil waters, but she was happy, and we were mortified yet relieved that no one else witnessed it!  That’s Matilda in a nutshell!
Matilda dreaming of fish and the Great Lakes

Jose’s been n touch with his niece, Miriam, in Traverse City, and we’re going to get to see her perform this weekend!  We're also planning to connect with his nephew, Cristobal Jose (not to be confused with Cristobal Enrique, his brother!), and his sister-in-law, Gladys.  Stay tuned for our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment