Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Matilda, Rocky, Pascal

Nothing much new here. Today it's 6 years since Rocky died...

Back in 1991 I got an Alaskan Malamute and named her Pascal (I was taking some computer classes and named her after a computer language). When Pascal was about a year old I noticed she enjoyed digging huge holes in the back yard. Thinking that she was probably bored, I decided to get her a companion. Driving around Florida one day I saw a sign for "puppies free to good home" and I went in to investigate. There was only one left, the runt, an all black Lab mix with eyes like Smokey Robinson. He was only a few weeks old and I could hold him in one hand. A friend of mine had just gotten a dog and his mom named the dog Buddy. My friend complained that Buddy was not a masculine enough name for a guy's dog, so in his honor I named mine Rocky. Pascal was a very good stepmom to Rocky. When she was trying to nap he would walk all over her, bite her ears, make her play. She taught him a lot,  including how to dig huge holes in the back yard. They were inseparable. Pascal crossed in 2004 aged 13 and Rocky in 2007 aged about 15.

The first time we were in Aberdeen I took Matilda for a walk. At one point she rushed towards an oncoming lady. I said out loud "No Matilda, she does not have any treats for you" and the lady said "Oh, but I do. I have dogs also and always have treats in my pocket".  Just like Matilda to bum treats from a stranger. Matilda's theme song should be Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. 

What does all this have to do with my trip? For the answer look at the very first word of this post. 

Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment